1177 Sutherland Ave
Kelowna, British Columbia    250-212-7335
Fax: 250-860-4426

We control 70% of how we age

That was the title of the February 20th Health and Fitness section of the Globe and Mail.
Dr. Vonda Wright, an orthopedic surgeon at the UPMC Center for Sports Medicine in Pittsburgh, submitted the results of a study on muscle preservation in older adults.
The study was focused on the 'myth' of muscle loss. Through a series of fitness tests on subjects between the ages of 40 and 81, Dr. Wright offered convincing evidence that the "typical" loss of muscle that begins in adults around the age of 40 has more to do with lack of use than aging alone. Two interesting points in this research: the subjects were Master athletes and Dr. Wright used MRI scans to measure muscle and fat content. Dr. Wright pointed to the fact that most research is typically studying sedentary subjects to draw broad conclusions about the intrinsic effects of aging. Wright states, "When we talk about aging, we're not usually studying what our bodies are actually capable of." Dr. Wright wanted to take the factor of 'disuse' out of the picture.
A team from the Canadian Centre for Activity and aging at the University of Western Ontario looked at the question of disuse and motor units. Their work showed that the number of "motor units" in the legs of runners in their 60s was essentially unchanged from runners in their 20s. An important point, the study also looked at the effect of exercise on the whole body. For instance, can the sport of running produce total body effects?
The result: Older runners had a slightly higher number of arm motor units than their sedentary peers, but the difference wasn't statistcally significant.
Both studies confirmed "use it or lose it"!
Dr. Wright points out that 70% of how we age is in our control. The other 30% we can blame our mothers for.
However, the vast majority of Canadians still don't meet even minimum guidelines for physical activity! Yet, as Dr. Wright's MRI pictures prove, current decisions about exercise will directly effect our quality of life a few decades down the road.
Sound the alarm! Get moving today to effect the health of your tomorrow!

Rise Up! Be Healthy!



Articles

  • Diabetes ~ Frustrating & Unpredicatable
    Dr. Farquar, a local specialist in the field of Diabetes, pens an article in the paper urging us to sit up and take notice: Canada, along with the the rest of the world, is experiencing an epidemic of Diabetes, financially described as an ...
    More
  • Oh that Salt!
    March 22. Article in the Capital News regarding the Myths of sodium written by a local Interior Health dietician. Stating facts like, most Canadians consume 3,400mg of sodium but only need 1,500mg the Myths of sodium, the component of salt that ...
    More
  • Sitting ~ Dangerous to your Health!
    May 16th in the Globe and Mail, Neil Reynolds composed an article which outlined how all of us could benefit from the "Winston Churchill Workout". Seems old Winston, although incessantly smoking cigars and drinking fine brandy, never sat still. ...
    More
  • Warming Up?
    Confusion exists about the benefits of doing a 'warm up' & 'cool down' around activity. Elias Tomaras, an exercise physiologist at the University of Calgary tells us recent research suggests that too long a warm-up can actually sap your energy ...
    More
  • Why do we do it?
    Ever wondered why long distance runners do what they do? Thought about trying to do long distance events yourself, or perhaps started down that path only to find you end up feeling like you are outside of your element? The Globe and Mail has a ...
    More
  • Fork v.s. Feet
    June 13th the Health and Fitness Section of the Globe & Mail had an interesting article on the "Forks v.s. Feet" debate, both diet AND exercise matter. Seems earlier in the year a couple of researchers faced off over the burger-and-beer scarfing ...
    More
  • Heart Health

    April 8th, 2011 the Globe and Mail had a special information feature on the new life-saving technologies that are helping drive down the mortality rates ...

    More
  • The Importance of a Support Network
    John Donne (1572-1631) wrote, "No man is an island entire of itself," and certainly, when we refer to the importance of a Support Network, Donne was absolutely correct. 

    When it comes to aspiring towards physical ...
    More

Phoenix Health & Fitness


250-212-7335
1177 Sutherland Ave
Kelowna, British Columbia


Join Us on Facebook



Phoenix Health & Fitness was created by an enthusiastic TEAM of individuals, spearheaded by Kim Froom, who believe in supporting and inspiring individuals to Rise Up to their personal best....   More